Reports directly to the Payroll and Benefits Manager
This position serves to support Crossroads Christian Communications and YES TV employees, ensuring that compensation and employment administrative matters are handled in a professional and timely manner with attention to accuracy, confidentiality and excellent communication. Most important to this position is the demonstration that Human Resources is a ministry opportunity within our organizations, with a focus on ensuring that staff members feel respected, valued, and appreciated in all interactions.
Areas of Responsibility: (in order of priority)
- Process semi-monthly payroll for several compensation models – salary, hourly, various shifts for Crossroads and YES TV.
- Provide clerical support.
- Assist with event planning and execution.
- Complete a variety of reports including Statistics Canada reports.
- Coordinate and complete year end reports such as T-4, T4A, and T2200.
Specific Job Duties:
- Calculate, post and audit payroll information.
- Monitor and ensure time and attendance entries are accurate and completed within the Time and Attendance records prior to payroll processing.
- Make changes to employee information for existing employees and enter information for new employees.
- Prepare payroll reports for finance department.
- Prepare cheque requisitions for payments.
- Calculate WSIB payments.
- Send out reminders or other communications to ensure employees have updated their timesheets or time off information prior to payroll input date.
- Assist employees with addressing any issues within the Time and Attendance system of record.
- Generate year end and ad hoc reports.
- Assist with onboarding new employees, summer students, interns and volunteers.
- Assist with creating orientation schedules and act as liaison on employees first day.
- Complete agreements for freelance and contract workers.
- Organize and maintain physical personnel records and files.
- Maintain vacation accrual records and annual vacation entitlement spreadsheet.
- Assist auditors by providing requested information during annual audits.
- Assist with event planning for staff functions, luncheons etc.
- Assist with posting open positions.
- Maintain detailed files and record keeping systems to assure accurate and complete documentation of payroll/personnel transactions in original copy
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certificate or working toward certification.
- Minimum of 3-4 years direct Canadian Payroll experience.
- Strong accounting skills.
- Experience in calculating special payments such as termination and severance, overtime, retro and stat holiday pay and fully aware of taxable and nontaxable benefits.
- Advanced working knowledge of time & attendance software.
- Familiarity with the Canada Labour Code for Federally Regulated organizations.
- Experience providing HR administrative support in a high-volume environment.
- Able to handle confidential information in an ethical and professional manner.
- Sound analytical thinking, problem solving, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Proficient in Word/Excel.
- Excellent researching skills.
- Excellent investigative and problem-solving skills
- Excellent follow through skills.
- Fast accurate data entry.
- Capable of meeting deadlines and prioritizing workload.
The chosen candidate will have the following attributes:
- People oriented – enjoy dealing with people on a daily basis and assist in solving their problems
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good Listening skills
- Attention to detail
- Professional manner
- Service oriented
- Loves a challenge
- Lifelong learner
- Open office, friendly and collaborative environment
- Co-workers who are purpose and mission minded
Applications should be addressed to the attention of:
Sylvia Boyko, Payroll and Benefits Manager
Applications internally and externally will be considered. This position is open to both female and male applicants. Crossroads Christian Communications is an Employment Equity Employer.